08 June 2012

Type In Everyday.

©Keia Kenyetta. UB, Type I, Spring 2012


Let's face it – ‘Type’ is everywhere!
What the heck I am talking about?
Well if you have a small child you probably are aware of this as children see the most amazing things - my son is a classic example of this. I swear this boy can identify a letter form from almost any object that comes in his view. It’s actually pretty amazing or not…

Anyway, I was going through my school files and I came across an assignment that I was tasked with last semester in my typography class.  The class was tasked with finding type in the everyday. Still not clear on what I'm rambling out?

Well, for example, a macaroni noodle looks like the letter 'C'. A simple chair can look like a lower case letter ‘h’, and a curtain rod tie back hook might look like the letter ‘J’. If you look around you will see that everyday objects look like type. While these objects look like type they are definitely not type but with a little creativity they can serve as interesting design solutions.

The image pictured above is my idea of type in the everyday. It was created while spending time on the playground with my son. As he played, I walked around the playground and took pictures of the play equipment. The result – the letters h, o, p, e, which spell Hope!

Here's hoping that everyone has a fabulous weekend! Keep your eye out for type this weekend.
Do come back and let me know what you've discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment!