02 August 2011

Vacation...Notes/Reinforcements

Source: Family Friendly & Specialty Travel
It’s been a week since we’ve returned from a much need vacation. Overall I’d rate vacation this year a 9.5 on a scale of 10 considering I haven’t been on vacation in over ummm...a year and a half…I think. Being as though I had such a great time, I thought I’d attempt to summarize my vacation and provide you with a few pointers/tips (in no particular order) as many of you may be gearing up for you last fanfare of the summer. So here goes...

You must travel with a “bag o’ tricks.”
Okay, there’s only one way to put it…You must pack a bag with a few of your child’s favorite small toys, books, bubbles, DVD’s, found objects, etc (and SNACKS). This should be your first priority when packing for a trip if you have kids. I’m sorry but if you forget to pack a “bag o’ tricks” you deserve to be miserable the entire trip and/or ride to your destination. TIP: Pack items that you notice your child obsessing over a week or few days prior to travel.

Different state, same heat & humidity.
Self explanatory, but mainly for my East coast friends. However, West coast partners drifting to the East take note.

Try to rent out a place to stay during your trip.
Really there’s no real reason to do this except that these types of residences are a bit nicer than spending a week or two in a hotel. Other reasons to rent include: the ability to do your own laundry during and prior to leaving, having your sleeping quarters separate from the living room/television area, having a room/space to lock your kid in, having a space to gather for meals and general conversation, having the ability to cook your own meals, use of a deck, grill, etc.

Different state, same store –Wal-Mart
[you fill in the blanks here]

Plan for an early start to your day.
There’s an old saying that “the early bird gets the worm” or something of the sort. And I know what you are thinking…it’s my vacation there’s no way I am going to get up early! But guess what? If you lay around in your pj’s and sip brewsky's until mid afternoon and then decided to visit a tourist attraction you’ll be SOL – long lines and all. (and if you have a toddler you'll be tripping into naptime). I know, I know this is nothing new it’s really just common sense that’s never followed. Hey, I have been guilty of it too (in the past).

One will wander.
Seriously, what would vacation be like if no-one wandered off? Calm and uneventful, right? Watch the kids, even in the house they wander off and hide in the darnest places!!! Watch the older folks too they like to hide from the kids.

Always end your visit with a trip to the buffet (or some place special).
Indulge, indulge, indulge…it’s a vacation not a staycation.

Toddlers still need naps.
Self explanatory unless you are great at dealing with mental breakdowns.

Adults, the elderly and kids still need to pee.
Listen; If you are traveling by land and you are the driver please remember that your passengers may need to use the potty…even though you insist on being Sergeant General “I’m not stopping anywhere”. TIP: Stop at a convenience store, or carry-out that way you kill two birds with one stone (food, the restroom, and leg stretching – okay so that’s three but you get the point). For the passenger, when in doubt pack your own snacks and a portable potty…

When traveling with family, your one (always) inebriated relative will find a way to be inebriated on the trip.
(My cousin).

GPS and other navigation systems are for the driver, not back seat Bob.
This most definitely is a new one for me! Let’s just say, a certain someone (my dad) decided that the GPS should be in the backseat with him and my son. Do you know how hard it is to hear the voice commands of a GPS lodged in the back seat of the car from the front seat while listening to the radio, Dora the Explorer, and my mom's telephone conversation? Do you? You...have no idea!



So there you have it my vacation in a nutshell plus vacation tips, reinforcement, friendly reminders when traveling. Slightly commit these to memory in preparation for your next trip or you know anything about my family you can just attempt to live vicariously through my vacation.

****
What tips do you have for traveling with kids and family? Are there any lessons that you keep learning from these trips?

2 comments:

  1. Lol, too funny. I really liked the potty and backseat GPS. I truly felt like I was on vacation with you guys, I pictured everything and was cracking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny and being as though you know my family well you know it was all true. Sorry that you missed the festivities this go round.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment!